Several Windows users have reported about Your Credentials could not be verified Windows 11 issue when they try to log-in with their credentials on their Windows 11. The problem was reported about every Windows 11 edition including Home, Pro, Enterprise and N.
Numerous reasons are possible what could cause the error. Here is the list of the common culprits:
- PIN is not correct – in most of the instances, the problem occurs because the PIN associated with the account is not correct. You can easily reset the PIN on your system by booting it in Safe Mode,
- Glitches with Microsoft Account – There could be specific Windows 11 glitches that affect the Microsoft account currently being used during the sign-in procedure. You can try with using a local account,
- Conflict in NGC folder data – Another culprit is the inconsistent data present in the NGC folder. The required fix in this case is to navigate to the your NGC folder and clean it before restarting the PC,
- Insufficient permission to NGC folder- In other scenario, the problem occurs because NGC folder doesn’t have sufficient permissions to retrieve the log-in data. You can resolve the problem in this case by granting the needed permissions to NGC folder,
- Corrupted ACLs on the NGC folder – Yet another possibility why Your Credentials could not be verified Windows 11 issue occurs is that the ACLs or Access Control Lists associated with the NGC folder are corrupted. The required fix is to reset the entire ACL component using Command Prompt,
- The Credential Manager Service is set to Manual – many a user reported that they got the error resolved just by setting the Credential Manager Service to Automatic,
- System File Corruption – under certain circumstances, the problem occurs due to some kind of system corruption is affecting the log-in procedure. In this case, you should run SFC and DISM scan in quick session, perform system restore or go for repair install or clean install if the problem persists.
Below, we have mentioned complete guide how you can perform the above mentioned troubleshooting steps. If you know the reason, directly jump to that fix. You can use hit-and-trial method and see if a ransom selecting solution helps you in getting the fix or simply go with the sequence to get the desired solution:
Possible fixes for Your Credentials could not be verified Windows 11 problem
Fix 1: Steps to Reset PIN (in Safe Mode)
If it turns out that the PIN that is currently connected to your account is incorrect, make sure you boot your device in Safe Mode and change the PIN linked to your account:
- Simply click on the Power Symbol that you see on your Signup page where the issue first appears and click on Restart button by holding Shift key,
- Go to the Recovery menu, select Troubleshoot and click on Advanced Options,
- Click on the Startup Settings on screen and then hit F4 or Num 4 key inside the Start Settings panel to make PC to run in Safe Mode,
- Now, go to the Windows 11 settings, click on Accounts and then click Login Options,
- Under the PIN section, select I forgot my PIN,
- Change your PIN and Password and then click OK to save it,
- Restart your device normally and see the next if the problem is resolved.
Fix 2: Switch to a Local Administrator account
Try this method if the problem continues. As said, bugs on Windows 11 might currently block the Microsoft account that you are using and so switch to a local administrator account and see this fixes your issue:
- Boot your device in Safe Mode from the previous method,
- Once Windows 11 boots up in Safe Mode, press Win + I to launch Settings,
- Under Settings, click on the action button on the top left corner of the screen,
- From the list of the choices appear on the window appears the next, select Accounts,
- Now, click on Family & Others and click on Add account under Other Users,
- On the Windows appears next after answering the first prompt, click on the link that says I don’t have this person’s sign-in information under the field of entering your email address,
- Select Add a user without a Microsoft account on the next window appears,
- Create a use for this PC page will appear the next. Enter your local account username and add an additional layer of password, if want,
- Click Next and wait for the account to be initialized,
- Click Next again to continue,
- Now, under Other users, this newly created Local account will be accessible,
- Reboot your system in normal mode now and sign-up with the PIN that previously refuse to work.
Fix 3: Check for problems related to NGC folder
If Your Credentials could not be verified Windows 11 problem persists, you should look for the problems related to NGC folder. Very first, you should check if ACLs connected to the NGC folder are not corrupted. Follow the below instructions:
Once system boots up in Safe Mode, press Win+ R, type in CMD and then press Ctrl+ Shift+ Enter to open elevated Command Prompt with admin access,
- In the elevated Command Prompt, paste or type the below command and hit Enter to Reset ACLs of the NGC folder:
icacls C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Ngc /T /Q /C /RESET
Close the Command Prompt and check the next if this fixes your problem. If the problem seems to continue, you should check if you have granted necessary permissions on NGC folder:
- Press Win+ E to launch File Explorer,
- Click on View> Show/ hide and tick Hidden Objects,
- Navigate to the following location under C: drive:
- Right-click on the NGC folder on the appeared window and choose Properties,
- On the Properties Sheet, select Advanced under Security tab,
- Now, go to the Advanced Security Settings for NGC box and click on Change link next to the owner,
- Complete the procedures listed there to take control of the NGC folder,
- Now, select Replace owner on the sub-containers and objects after assuming ownership,
- Replace all the entries from the child objects with inheritable permission and click on Change Permissions after that,
- Click on Add button and then click select a principal under Permission for NGC,
- As an object name, enter SYSTEM and click Check Names option and then press Ok,
- Then, back to the previous windows and click on Full Control under basic permissions and then click OK button.
If Your Credentials could not be verified Windows 11 problem is still there, you should check for Inconsistent data found in the NGC folder that is another potential offender that could the main issue. You can clear these data from the below steps:
- Boot your system in Safe mode, and then launch File Explorer and go to the below location:
- Right-click on NGC folder and select Delete option,
- Restart your computer normally and you should be able to sign in without using a PIN,
- After that, NGC folder will be rebuilt so that you can create a new PIN,
- Logging back after booting the system normally and see if still you receive Your Credentials Could Not be Verified error.
Fix 4: Set Credential Manager to Automatic
As already mentioned, many a user reported about this error found that the Credential Manager was set to Manual. They managed to resolve the problem just by switching this service to Automatic:
- Once boot up Windows in Safe Mode, press Win+ R, type in services.msc and hit Ctrl+ Shift+ Enter simultaneously to open up Services under admin access,
- Once in Services window, scroll down and locate Credential Manager, right-click on it and choose Properties in the context menu,
- Go to the Properties and under the General tab, set the Startup type to Automatic before clicking Apply,
- Reboot your device normally and see if this resolves the problem.
Fix 5: Run SFC and DISM scan
If Your Credentials could not be verified Windows 11 issue continues, you should check for check the problem related to Windows. Very first, you should use SFC and DISM scan to check for corrupted system files. In these are causing the trouble, SFC and DISM scanning will find all corrupted files and repair them to resolve the problem:
- Run Command Prompt as Admin,
- In the Command line, type in Sfc / scannow and hit Enter,
- Once executed, restart the device,
- Next upon system boots up, run the below command under Command line this type to run DISM scan:
Dism.exe/ online/clean-imag /scanhealth
Fix 6: use System Restore
This method is to ensure you back to the previously working state on your PC where there was no such issue like Your Credentials could not be verified Windows 11. Here is how to restore system:
- When system starts up, hit F11 or other designated key to access Recovery menu,
- Under it, click with the mouse or use the key to pick System Restore,
- Click Next and choose the most recent restoration point that shows on your computer,
- To begin to system restoration procedure, click on Finish option,
- After the system has been restored to the most recent recovery point, test the computer to see if the problem is resolved.
Fix 7: Perform a clean install or repair install
As a last, if the Your Credentials could not be verified Windows 11 problem persists, you should carry out a clean install or a repair install. During a clean install only the system files will be modified while keeping your personal files, user preferences apps & games. The clean install option, on the other hand, will erase all the data.
Before you take the decision to clean install or repair install window, make sure you use PC Repair Tool. This is an automatic tool to deal with Windows related issues. It should fix the Your Credentials could not be verified Windows 11 error if caused due to system corrupted, BSOD errors, DLLS or EXE files error, common registry issues or due to virus infection.
That’s all! We have provided all possible fixes for Your Credentials could not be verified Windows 11. Hope so, these fixes are helpful for you in resolving the problem. Comment down below in case of any queries, questions or suggestions related to the post.