Hello dear! I think I am dealing with an issue on my computer. Last night, I opened by Google Chrome and found that all my bookmarks disappeared. I can’t understand why this happened. Help me to resolve the problem.
Google Chrome does not need an introduction. It is well known cross-platform web browser developed by Google. It was released first in 2008 for Microsoft Windows. It is most popular among users. It popularities are obviously because of the application features.
Bookmarks are one such feature on Chrome using which users can save a website’s URL address for future reference. This way, they manage to save time, which is useful for pages with long URLs or accessing some specific part of the site that might be a homepage.
Unfortunately, recently, many users are reportedly receiving Chrome bookmarks disappeared issue. There are many reasons possible what could cause the issue and so do the solution. Below, we have listed out the best possible fixes to resolve this issue.
You might be looking for some time saving fix for this issue. For this manner, we recommend you use PC Repair Tool – an automatic tool to deal with Windows related issues. It works best with system errors, BSODs, corrupted files and any registry issues. Here is its direct download link.
Best possible fixes for Chrome bookmarks disappeared issue
Fix 1: Sign in with your Google Account
Chrome allows users to sync their settings like extensions and bookmarks to their Google Account. If you are using this feature, you can simply restore all the browser data, bookmarks and extension just by signing in to that Google Account.
Fix 2: Use another web browser to restore Bookmarks
If you are using multiple web browsers, here is how you can use the other web browser to restore the Bookmarks to Google Chrome:
- Open Chrome and click on ‘Customize your Google Chrome’ button,
- Move your mouse to the Bookmarks option and click Import Bookmarks and settings…,
- Pick the browser from where you want to import the settings to Chrome,
- Then, select the settings that you want to import,
- Click Continue and let the process to finish and check the next if the issue is resolved.
Fix 3: Create another User Profile
Many a user found that the Chrome bookmarks disappeared issue was automatically disappeared once they created a new User Profile:
- Go to the below location:
C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data
- Here, the username belongs to your username
- Click on Local folder and select Google> Chrome,
- Click on User data and open Google Chrome,
- Click on Profile icon to open it,
- Then, click Add and then continue without an account,
- Give a name to your new profile account, select your theme and then click Done,
- Close Google Chrome now and open the above-mentioned path and open Default folder now,
- Open all the files therein one-by-one and locate your Bookmarks file,
- Right-click on Bookmarks file, select Open with, click on Notepad and then click OK button,
- Identify the then the correct Bookmarks file, copy that file to the newly created Chrome user profile folder on your C drive,
- Open the Chrome and check if now your bookmarks are visible.
Note: You should not delete the Bookmarks.bak file during the process. This is the file that contains most recent backup of your Chrome bookmarks.
Fix 4: Rename Bookmarks File
This trick also works for many users. If the above-mentioned solutions do not work and you continue receiving the problem, you should try this and see if this helps you in resolving your problem:
- Go to your user profile folder, search for bookmarks and Bookmarks.bak files.
- Copy both of them to another hard drive to restore them later,
- Rename the Bookmarks file to Bookmarks.old and Bookmarks.bak to Bookmarks,
- Check if this resolves your issue.
Fix 5: Perform System Restore
If none of the methods work, you can use System Restore function and restore your system to last resort:
- From Windows Search, type System Restore Point in the search bar and open it,
- Go to the System Properties and select System Restore within System Protection tab,
- In the System Restore wizard, click Next to find your available restore point,
- Select the last System Restore Point or click on Show more restore points to explore the option,
- Click on the restore point suitable for you, click Next and then click Finish button. This will automatically resolve your issue.
That’s all! We have provided all possible fixes for Chrome bookmarks disappeared issue. Hope so, these fixes help you in resolving the error. Comment down below in case of any queries, questions or suggestions regarding the post.